Also known as: First Methodist Episcopal Church.
Recently, Glenview Haus finished replacing the wooden doors for Chicago Temple First United Methodist Church, also known as First Methodist Episcopal Church. The building was completed in 1923, and at the time was the largest building in Chicago. Glenview Haus was able to replicate the features of the doors unique to their time-period, such as the wrought-iron clavos and ornamental decorative hardware. This historical renovation project is only one example of Glenview Haus’ ability to recreate the past in the present.
These are completely custom made 90 minute Fire-Rated Doors wooden doors that are officially certified. The doors and frames make use of a fire rated material core within a solid wood construction allowing for a fully rated entry system. The Genuine Honduran Mahogany has a custom-matched painted finish along with complimentary commercial hardware allowing for the beautiful units to look true to their time while meeting compliance. Ceramic glazing is also included in some of the exit doors allowing light and a small window to view through while keeping the 90 minute rating.
Address: 77 West Washington Street, Chicago, Illinois, The Loop 60602
- Construction start: 1922
- Construction finish: 1923
- Designed by: Holabird & Roche
- Type: Holy Place
- Stories: 29
- Maximum Height: 568 feet / 173 meters
- Seating capacity: 1,000 people
- 1834: A log cabin ws built just north of the Chicago River for this congregation.
- 1837: The cabin was moved to the corner of Clark and Washington Streets, which is also the location of the present building.
- 1845: A brick building was erected to replace the log cabin.
- 1858: A four-story building was built to replace the earlier brick structure. The church was on the upper two floors.
- 1871: The building was destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire. It was immediately rebuilt.
- 1922: Construction began on this building.
- 1924: This building was dedicated.
- 1952: The sky chapel was dedicated
- At the time of its completion, this was the tallest building in Chicago.
- This building is faced with grey and white Bedford oolitic limestone from Indiana.
- The stained glass windows were created by the Giannini & Hilgart Studios.
- The main altar in the first floor sanctuary was carved by Alois Lang in Oberammergau, Germany. It shows Jesus weeping over Jerusalem as he descends from the Mount of Olives.
- The altar in the sky chapel depicts Jesus looking over the skyline of Chicago.
- The sky chapel’s structural beams are in the shape of Saint Andrew’s crosses.
- The organ has 92 ranks with four manuals.
Did You Know?
- The sky chapel was a gift to the congregation from the Walgreen family of Walgreen’s drug stores.